Bio

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Trip to the Acropolis & A Night Out In Athens

Thursday of this past week was a religious holiday for Athenians which means no school for us! My three roommates and I decided to make a day out of exploring the Acropolis and accompanying Acropolis Museum. The day began around 9am with a short metro ride to the Acropolis entrance. We explored the grounds surrounding the Parthenon and enjoyed some fabulous views along the way. Although thousands have visited the ancient sites before, standing in front of the Temple of Athena, Erechtheion, and the Parthenon took my breath away.










After a morning of "ooing" and "awhing" we headed to the Acropolis Museum which in itself is a work of art. The modern and industrial architecture of the museum is a beautiful housing for the ancient artifacts that it contains inside. Also... I wasn't supposed to be taking pictures which is why I have a total of two.



After wandering through the museum, we decided it was time for some fuel. The Acropolis Museum has a great cafe with lots of yummy dishes. The best part of the whole experience? You can see the Parthenon from your table. 






I survived another week of classes and by Friday I was ready to have some fun. We headed downtown to the Plaka area where we found an adorable taverna on a beautifully lit set of stairs. Although it was a little chilly we decided to sit outside. We couldn't miss out on the atmosphere! We ordered drinks and some small plates and enjoyed the company of the live music and friendly cats. It was a great way to start the night before heading to a club in Gazi called Dream City. 







After dinner our server gave us free hot wine which consists of red wine, cinnamon, ginger and honey! Yamas! (cheers)


The nightlife here is not for the shy or the timid. We danced until our heels began to hurt and caught a cab home around 4am. Did I mention that we were the first ones to leave? Like I said, not for the shy or the timid.



Everyone smokes in the clubs which is unfortunate, but at least they don't mess around with a surgeon general warning like America. 





That thing she is flinging around? A teddy bear. I'm still not sure why.



Until next Sunday!
Kisses,
Katie

2 comments:

  1. I definitely want to go eat at a restaurant on the stairs when we visit in March however I think I'll have to pass on going to the club. I'm guessing the nightlife starts way after my bedtime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to take you there for dinner Momma!

      Delete